Tuesday, September 11, 2012

and He Came Running!!!


A few weeks ago I was asked to do a devotion for our women's group, Teacup Ladies.  I began praying about what to say.  I wanted it to be something unique, something God inspired.  One morning God woke me up at 4:30am with a story that wouldn't leave my heart, so there He gave me the story but I hadn't received the Biblical truth to support the story.  The story was one a friend told me about 25 years ago.  She was driving to college, somewhere in East Texas, and she broke down.  This was a time when we didn't have cell phones, so she walked to a phone and called her Dad.  She let him know her approximate location and he said that he was on his way.  She made her way back to the car and locked herself in, waiting on her Dad.  A couple of hours later he passes her on the highway, he manages to get the car stopped about 50 yards past her, he stops the car and gets out and takes off in a dead run toward her.  He was wearing suit pants and dress shoes, and he was sprinting to get to his daughter.  When he reached her he hugged her close and made sure she was OK.  It would have made more sense when he saw her, to turn the car around and drive back toward her, but he saw his daughter and ran to get to her.  I've never forgotten this image, and I can see him running toward her.  

Now the search for Biblical truth.  I knew what I was looking for - call on Jesus, and He will come.  I searched daily for almost two weeks, and I fought the urge to ask David for a suggestion.  He would have been able to give me something totally suiting the story, but I wanted to receive it.  Then something happened that opened my eyes.  Over the last year or so I have lived afraid that someone was going to hurt me.  I had no idea the level of fear that I was in until one night when I was home alone, and I am rarely home alone.  I was preparing to go to a meeting and there was a ring of the doorbell.  I am terrified!  I call my cousin and ask where she is, she's not too far so she'll come by.  Then another ring!  I am too scared to move of the couch, I text David that we need a peep hole.  He tells me to look out the side window, but if I did that they would see me.  I began thinking that I wouldn't be able to go to the meeting, a meeting that I was leading.  Then there's a knock!  I call Cristy and ask where she is, thankfully she was turning down my street.  I tell her to keep me on the phone until she is at my house, as she approaches my house she sees someone.  It's our friend, a dear friend that I was picking up for the meeting.  She just lives around the block and decided to walk on over.  She had no idea the crippling fear I was experiencing.  She said that when she first rang the bell, her phone rang so she wasn't able to say anything or text me.  I have no doubt that all these events were no coincidence.  So, my eyes have been opened!

The next morning I tell David that I'm going to overcome my fear, and we prayed about it.  I went on to work and a couple of hours later I felt led to request prayer.  I asked two close friends to please pray for me, I let my co-workers know what I was experiencing.  I was going to be home alone that very night, and I was concerned.  I had an opportunity to do a little reading, searching for the Biblical truth to support the story for the devotion.  I find a couple of things, then I stumble across Psalm 91:15.



He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble;
I will deliver him and honor him.
                                    Psalm 91:15
 
I have no doubt that this is it, but I want to be sure that I'm not taking the scripture out of context.  So, I read all of Psalm 91. 


He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High
Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress;
My God, in Him I will trust.”

Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler
And from the perilous pestilence.
He shall cover you with His feathers,
And under His wings you shall take refuge;
His truth shall be your shield and buckler.
You shall not be afraid of the terror by night,
Nor of the arrow that flies by day,
Nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness,
Nor of the destruction that lays waste at noonday.
A thousand may fall at your side,
And ten thousand at your right hand;
But it shall not come near you.
Only with your eyes shall you look,
And see the reward of the wicked.
 Because you have made the Lord, who is my refuge,
Even the Most High, your dwelling place,
10 No evil shall befall you,
Nor shall any plague come near your dwelling;
11 For He shall give His angels charge over you,
To keep you in all your ways.
12 In their hands they shall bear you up,
Lest you dash your foot against a stone.
13 You shall tread upon the lion and the cobra,
The young lion and the serpent you shall trample underfoot.
14 “Because he has set his love upon Me, therefore I will deliver him;
I will set him on high, because he has known My name.
15 He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble;
I will deliver him and honor him.
16 With long life I will satisfy him,
And show him My salvation.”
                      Psalm 91


I realized right away what God had done for me.  He, in His perfect timing, gave me the Biblical truth to overcome my fear.  He did not give me the scripture for the devotion a week earlier, He did not keep my friend at home so I would pick her up, He caused her phone to ring, He led me to ask for prayer, and He caused my eyes to open.  I called my Father and He ran to me!  He delivered me from fear and gave me truth to stand on.  He gave me words to share what He did and He did it all when the time was right.  That evening I stayed home alone, one time I became afraid and I embraced His truth.  When David came home that evening, he sent me his usual text that says - I'm home.  He's letting me know that he is about to walk in the door, so I won't be afraid.  I could barely get the words out to tell him what God did.

Call and He will come running!  He will comfort you and assure you.  


No comments:

Post a Comment